Our past…

On October 12th, 1875, the Presbytery of Pictou appointed a committee to look into the matter of forming a congregation in the Vale Colliery. On Oct 24, 1875, the committee met with the people from the Vale and began taking names of persons who were already members of a church, and who would like to form a congregation at the Vale.  At a congregational meeting held on march 13, 1876, it was agreed to issue a call for a resident minister.  In the summer of 1876, a call was issued to the newly Ordained Rev W.T. Bruce, of Musqudoboit.  On October 25, 1876, it was agreed to hold a communion service in Thorburn on the first Sabbath after the opening of the new church, which was almost completed, with the Rev. W.T. Bruce presiding.

Union Church - 1938

Union Church - 1938

Since its founding, the congregation of Union Presbyterian has been served

by the following Ministers of Word and Sacrament:

Rev W.T. Bruce    1876 – 1882    Rev L. Murray    1883 – 1885
Rev A.W. MacLeod    1885 – 1898    Rev J.A. MacKenzie    1899 – 1912
Rev J Harris        1912 – 1914    Rev J.A.S. Burns    1919 – 1925
Rev D MacVicar    1926 – 1931    Rev C. Hayward    1933 – 1937
Rev A. Mills        1938 – 1942    Rev P.F. Rockwood    1943 – 1944
Rev R. MacLeod    1947 – 1951    Rev R. MacDonald    1952 – 1957
Rev C.M. Shaver    1958 – 1968    Rev A.M. Old        1970 – 1973
Rev J.A. Finlayson    1974 – 1984    Rev J.N. Openshaw    1985 – 1989

Rev G.S. MacDonald    1990 – 2005      Rev J.R. Lackie     2006 – present


%d bloggers like this: